The UCC is widely known as that “comma church.” Meaning that our denomination’s logo includes a comma.
That comma symbol has its genesis from a quote, not from some famous theologian, but from entertainer Gracie Allen to her husband, George Burns: “Never place a period where God has put a comma.”
We’ve added over the years to that, saying, “God is still speaking,”
Other punctuation marks seem to fit as well:
- ? Bring your questions during Lent and beyond. I can’t promise a 15-second answer to any of the things with which you are puzzled, but questions are welcomed.
- ! Bring your joy! Don’t be afraid of expressing your joy!
- ( ) You are included, valued, and important.
- … Bring your waiting time, the time of discernment.
- @ Be at church this season.
- & Bring others – make the circle wider and wider.
- * You are special and unique.
- > Be a part of something greater than yourself.
Lent is a great time to discover who we are and who we are to become.