Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

Brought to you by Church of the Palms’ CARE Team!

Community Action Programs (CAPs) and other designated local providers offer several programs to assist with energy assistance. The Division contracts with local CAPs for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). LIHEAP is a federally-funded program that helps low-income households pay their heating/cooling bills, minimize crises, and make energy costs more affordable.

Eligible energy customers may receive help in three ways:

  1. Help to pay current and past due energy bills
  2. Help with utility deposits
  3. Help with energy efficiency measures to reduce future energy costs

Who is eligible?
To qualify for LIHEAP, the applicant must have an income that falls within the program guidelines. Priority for service assistance is determined at the local Community Action Agency level. Higher priority may be granted if someone in your home is a senior citizen (60 years of age & older), a person with disabilities or a young child under six years old.

How often can someone receive assistance?
The availability of LIHEAP assistance is not guaranteed and is available on a first-come first-serve basis. LIHEAP eligibility is limited to once in a 12-month period. Remember to contact your utility company as soon as possible when you realize you might have trouble paying your bill.

To apply for LIHEAP, you need the following documents:

  1. State Driver’s License or Identification Card
  2. Proof of permanent residence, such as a lease, deed or property tax bill
  3. Social Security cards or numbers, birth certificates or school records for any household members (including children) who are LIHEAP-eligible and being included on the application
  4. Income verification of all household members 18 years of age and older for the last 30 days (paystubs, social security, award notices, unemployment insurance, pension funds or disability, etc.)
  5. Copies of all current utility bills.
  6. Utility Termination Notice (if you have received a shut-off notice or delinquent notice from your energy company)
  7. Statement showing utility allowance if you are living in subsidized housing, such as Section 8.

To apply for the LIHEAP program, contact the local Community Action Program in your area. An appointment is needed to obtain utility assistance services. Please note that there is high demand for assistance from Community Action Agencies, and their phone lines get very busy. It may take you some time to get through.

Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) Office Locations

Maricopa County Human Services
234 N. Central Ave., Suite 3000
Phoenix, AZ 85009

City of Glendale Community Action Programs
5850 W. Glendale Ave., Suite B-51
Glendale, AZ 85301

City of Phoenix Human Services
200 W. Washington St., 18th Floor
Phoenix, AZ 85003
602-534-2433 – Main
602-262-6631 – Senior Services intake line